Thursday, July 22, 2021

Mirror Work - 2, Easy mirror work for beginners

 Hi all 

Hope all are doing well and great.  I have started a series for mirror work tutorials.  The first tutorial using simple straight stitches can be viewed here.  Today I have given the step by step tutorial of framing a mirror to the fabric using chain stitch and buttonhole stitch.  Then I have given a border using fly stitch


Let's move on to the tutorial.  For this tutorial I have used a 2 cm dia sequin.  Since the sequin has holes on the two sides I have anchor the sequin with two small stab stitches.  If you are using a mirror glue the mirror using fabric glue to the fabric and then start with the tutorial. 

I am using 6 strands of anchor embroidery thread here.

1)  Anchor the Sequin with two stab stitches.

2)  Work a circle of chain stitches around the sequin. 

3) Bring the needle up through the fabric from inside anyone chain stitch and pull the thread up.

4)  Now we are going to do the buttonhole stitch.  For that insert the needle through the next chain stitch without picking the fabric. The working thread should be under the needle from the top.  One buttonhole stitch is made. The stitch is made inside the sequin.

5)  Continue in the same way as we do in step 4 for the next chain and through out the chain circle.

6) This is how it will be at the last circle.   Now we have to make the last buttonhole stitch between the last and the first chain.

7)  For the last stitch insert the needle under the first buttonhole stitch and pull the thread through.  Finish this round by inserting the needle at the place where you come up in the beginning to do the buttonhole stitches. 

8) The framed mirror with chain stitches and buttonhole stitches is ready.

I have added a border using fly stitch around the chain stitch.  For each chain stitch I have done a fly stitch and now the mirror work looks like this,

We can also add a sugar bead while anchoring the fly stitches or we can glue a stone at the tip of each fly stitches as an embellishment. 

Hope this tutorial is useful.  Will be back with a crochet finish tomorrow.  Till then, watch this space and have a nice day.

This post is linked to :

5 comments:

  1. hej shami,
    thank you for your nice comments on my blog :0) I work on a little Quilt, there should be embroidered flowers on it - thank you for your amazing tutorial! I love sunflowers :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. just for fast :0) hugs from Denmark, ulrike :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make this look so easy!! Thank you for sharing at My Big Fat Menopausal Life's Share the Wealth Link party! Have an awesome weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I would like to hear from you as it boosts me up a lot.

*/