Saturday, June 26, 2021

Embroidery and Crochet books I own & Review

 Hi all 

In this page I will be listing the embroidery books I own.  I will update this page once a week. 

2) Long and Short stitch Embroidery - A collection of flowers from Milner craft series

Click Here to purchase

I love to do needle painting.  It takes a lot of time to finish a small design.  Whenever I saw a design that is done with long and short stitch, I also wanted to do one.  So one fine day I ordered the above book through amazon.  The price of the book is very reasonable.  But the information present in the book is priceless.  The pages of the book are all photo sheets.  The cover itself is very beautiful and they are all like painting.

The book contains the basics of long and short stitch.  The direction to be stitched and the colour way that has to be used to achieve the effect of shading is explained in detail.

The book starts with the basic shapes of a petal to more complicated shapes of leaves in a step by step way.  Then comes smaller flower motifs and then medium flowers and finally a good selection of beautiful flowers. 

Each project includes the outline of the pattern, then a picture to show the direction of the stitch flow and a finished picture of the project.  

Another important thins in each project is that each project includes the list of thread numbers needed for that particular project and that is the best gift I got from this book because I am very poor in colour selection.  

I have completed only one project till now.  For the small flower I took a whole day but the result is very very beautiful.  I have blogged about it here.

Next I will be doing the following flower.  It's like a dream project to me.  The above piece of embroidery is like a treasure to me.  Though we can stitch these flowers for pillow cover or table linens, I will only frame it because the finished piece will be an absolute piece of art.  



For those who are interested in needle painting it is a must buy book.  I will give 5 stars to this books. 


1)Embroidery Stitches Step by step - Lucinda Ganderton

Click here to purchase

  • This book is a visual encyclopedia of stitches. 
  • It contains more than 200 stitches with step by step instructions. 
  • It starts with an introduction to embroidery, materials, tools and techniques used in embroidery. 
  • Then it contains a gallery of stitches. 
  • From that we can select a stitch which pleases us and can select the particular page to learn it. 
  • Stitches are categorized into different sections such as line and border stitches, Filling stitches, Openwork stitches, Needlepoint stitches.
  • It is a quick reference of stitches. 
  • The quality of paper is very good. 
  • High quality photographs are used.
  • It is worth buying for beginners. 

It would have been better is some designs are provided for practice.  Otherwise anyone who wants to learn embroidery can add it to your library.  

1 comment:

  1. These stitch dictionaries are so useful, and it is a great idea to have several as the instructions are a bit different in each, and you can compare and pick the one you find easiest to follow.
    I haven't got this particular one, but can find it in the local library.

    ReplyDelete

I would like to hear from you as it boosts me up a lot.

*/