Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Embroidery Design - Colonial Knot stitch

 Hi all

Hope all are doing well.  I am happy to share with you a new embroidery design which uses the colonial knot stitch.

The stitch looks similar to french knot but the way we wrap the thread is a little different. Colonial knot looks somewhat raised than french knots.  But some people say the other way.  The difference between the two stitches is not that much seen but if observe closely the difference can be noticed by  only those who know these two stitches. 

I have used a simple design to work these stitches.  You can also replace with french knots and the projects that uses french knots can also be replaced with colonial knots.  Tomorrow I will post the tutorial for doing colonial knot.  Now onto the design.


Tutorial for colonial knot is here.

Pattern for the design
Stitches used
------------------------
Dots in the stem - Colonial knots
Stem - Back Stitch
Leaf - Lazy Daisy Stitch

Anchor Thread numbers
---------------------------------
Flowers - different shades of purple colour(1 wrap - 6 strands)
Stem - 212 (6 strands)
Leaf - 210(6 strands)

Hope all of you like this design.  I will post the tutorial to do the colonial stitch tomorrow.  Till then, have a happy time with needle and thread.

2 comments:

  1. Are there any stitches more common in floral embroidery than those of the Knot family?
    I use both French and Colonial Knots. I think I personally make them look different by putting more tension on the French Knots. My Colonial Knots tend to be loser, and thereby look bigger.
    For making eyes on my stump work portraits I like the Colonial Knot for the Iris - there is usually a small dent in the middle. In that hollow I can place the black pupil, made with a French Knot.
    Your floral design is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I would like to hear from you as it boosts me up a lot.

*/